Sue Lyle has given us permission to publish an article, ‘Violence and Prejudice‘, that she wrote for Creative Teaching and Learning (vol 5.1) which describes a number of activities using images which can be used to discuss some of the issues facing young people (particularly young women) today:
- sexualisation and pornographication of society
- pressure to achieve highly
- class differences
- search for the perfect body
- violence against girls and women
- economic realities for women
As Sue says in the article ‘The activities are intended to promote discussion of values and promote principles of respect between young people and active participation’ and some teachers she worked with suggested that they could be used with pupils as young as nine.
Please let us know if you use or adapt any of the activities and how they went.