- Skill up – reasoning, communication, assertiveness, getting your point across
- Become more articulate (talking clearly right?)
- Blow you mind on current issues of your choosing
- Hear ideas and views different to your own
- Certification and membership – great for your future CV
Week 1 (3 males, 14 females)
The students were welcomed and thanked for coming. We discussed the badges, certificates and they were told that this was a commitment for 6 weeks.
The students were asked the following questions for a baseline:
- Are you male/female? F / M
- Do you have any good friends of the opposite sex? Y / N
If NO – What would make you choose not to make a friend with the opposite sex?
3. How do you rate your communication skills out of 10?
4. Rate your confidence to speak in front of a group of people out of 10
We discussed the basic structure of the club: there will be 2 sides for some topics, you can change your position, there will be whole group discussion for less polar topics. We developed some ground rules: 1 person speaks at a time, addressing the whole group. The students will have the opportunity to chair after week 3.
We chose some more topic ideas and voted for today’s topic: ‘Committing suicide is a selfish act.’ 20 mins 2 sides (4 in favour 13 against)
Summary of debate: possible reasons for suicide, how to get/give help, responsibility for own state of mind, euthanasia, effect on family and friends, depression, self-harm, personal choice, autonomy
We agreed next week’s topic – Do we need feminism?